"Mangosteen Resort & Spa Phuket" Top 5 Page for this destination Mangosteen Resort & Spa Phuket Tip by Cathy&Gary

Mangosteen Resort & Spa Phuket, Phuket: 380 reviews and 6 photos

by Cathy&Gary

We booked 4 nights at the Golden Tulip Mangosteen Resort during August through last minute.com.au; it was a mystery deal for a Deluxe/Jacuzzi 74 sq mtr room for $50 a night. We were in room 203. So considering for the same time this room is around $200 a night it was a good deal.

Having said that I would not pay any more as we were disappointed in the condition of the property, the room etc, nor would I ever stay here again. Some sites say this is a 4 star property & some say 5, I would class it as maybe a 3 star.

Even though this villa is 74 sq mtrs, the actual size of the room is not that much bigger than a normal size hotel room, it is the bathroom & outside Jacuzzi area that add to the space. That is a nice area but no privacy if someone next door is in their Jacuzzi as well!

The television is very old and small; I did read reviews before we booked that went back as far as April where the Manager said the televisions were being replaced. There are only 40 rooms here so they should have been replaced a long time ago. As of 6 weeks ago there are still old television sets.

The furniture is very dated, the tacky coffee table in our room was badly scratched, the lounge is shocking, rock hard, watch if you sit at the end & lean against the side cushion, there is no outside frame supporting it, very easy to fall to the side.

When I opened wardrobe door the handle fell off in my hand, now I do not believe this is the first time it ever happened as it was extremely loose, but easily fixed by swapping the handles around which we did.

The thatched roof of our verandah area needs replacing, there were holes in it, when it rained we had to move the chairs as it came pouring through!

One of the outside chairs had a funny slope to it, I felt like I was sitting on an angle so took the cushion off and it was broken underneath, there was a rusty nail poking through, so the right hand side of the seat was not connected properly to the base. Could have been quite nasty if it collapsed as that nail was level with the top of my leg!

Why is there no soap dish in the shower, something so simple? The shampoo & conditioner containers are chipped & stained, not something I would expect to find in a quality resort. However the shampoo & conditioner were of good quality, very nice to use.

The way room 203 is positioned with the pool seating up the little hill is extremely noisy, so no sitting outside reading as you can hear everything that people laying on the sun loungers at the pool are saying. So choose another room.

At checkout no one was interested in helping taking our bags down the hill to the car.
It is all these little things & they are easily fixed that make a resort stand out from the others. Maybe we have been spoiled at other resorts, but they are the ones that make us want to go back.
We had room service & also ate at the pool, the food was nice & prices ok. The pool was smaller than expected but a lovely setting.

The villa next door to us was broken into while we were there, everyone knew about it and we were quite surprised that no one from the hotel mentioned it at all, maybe they were trying to keep it quiet, but very obvious when you see police etc. We actually met the people whose room was broken into, it did happen. Funny thing is Gary thought he heard someone at our door in the early hours the same day!! Not sure if there is security there as in 4 days & nights we did not see a security guard once.

We met quite a few other Australians who had booked through Stardeals, $199 for 7 nights plus another internet deal similar to Scoopons etc. They all had to attend a 1.5 hr presentation (trying to sell timeshare). So just be aware of this depending on who you book with.

Everything I have mentioned could be fixed easily to bring the hotel back up to the standards it maintains it has.

I would not recommend this hotel if you are disable or if you are not too good on your feet due to the steps and being quite slippery when wet.

Address: 99/4 Moo 7 T. Rawai
Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: N/A
Theme: Hotel

• Written Nov 23, 2011

Comments

Cathy&Gary Visits Here Frequently!

Cathy&Gary

“Do Everything Now - While You Still Can!!”

Have you been to Phuket?