"Capilla de Nostra Senora de Guadelupe" Old Town Tip by toonsarah

The chapel
      Decorative tile
      Inside the chapel
    by toonsarah

This tiny cross-shaped chapel is a hidden gem of the Old Town, and I?m sure many tourists pass by without realising that is there ? we certainly would have done so if it were not for our trusty Moon Handbook, as it isn?t visible from the road and neither is it signposted. It is dedicated to the first saint of Mexico and it is clear by the votive candles burning here, the flowers and the little prayer messages that it is an active place of devotion. The image of the Virgin of Guadalupe dominates one arm of the cross, to your right as you enter, and opposite it is a colourful stained glass circular window (photo two) which acts as a perpetual calendar, showing the Feasts of the Virgin and the phases of the moon. Opposite the entrance is a small altar.

After our visit I found a story associated with the chapel, which claims that it is haunted by a lady in black. She has apparently often been seen seated on the far right bench of the chapel, weeping copiously. She wears a long black dress and her face is concealed by a dark veil. She is often mistaken for a real person, until she mysteriously vanishes, at which point the observer realises that she cannot after all be real. The lady is not menacing or threatening, but those who have seen her say that there is a deep sense of sadness emulating from her.

The chapel is not old, having been built in 1975 by a Dominican nun, Sister Giotto, as part of the establishment of a school of sacred art in Albuquerque. Outside the chapel a wall is decorated with a number of small ceramic tiles set in at intervals, portraying various saints ? see photo three for one that caught my eye, of St Francis I think.

Address: Patio Escondido, 404 San Felipe Rd. NW
Directions: Walk north from the Plaza on San Felipe and look for a narrow passageway of shops on the right ? photo five was taken in the passageway and may help you identify it
Phone: 505 2468677
Website: http://www.albuquerqueoldtown.com/

• Updated Nov 18, 2011

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Albuquerque?