Blackjack Bar: "Ex-pat seeking solace and some culture?" Suzhou Nightlife Tip by Kristinameister

Suzhou Nightlife: 17 reviews and 21 photos

Blackjack is right across the street from the Pan Pacific Sheridan, and as we rolled in at 9pm and saw the sign in English, I cannot tell you how relieved I felt. I travel a lot, and one thing I know is that if you're tired, the last thing you want to do is attempt to communicate. We walked over and found they were playing Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody,which made us both feel right at home. It is a bit dark and small, but don't be intimidated! Many Americans, Brits, and Canadians hang out there, so the owner Leona speaks amazing English! She told us what to see (many things you do not see in the books) and generally made us feel at home! The selection of drinks is about what you'd expect from your local, as we say "hole in the wall" which in this context is not negative. Cocktails, Jameson's, and pool, plus wonderful music chosen by a bar regular, Bob, from the USA, equals great fun. After a long day of fighting traffic, language barriers, and alienation, this place is fantastic. And it helped us learn a lot about the culture around us too! If you just want to hang and feel no pressure or anxiety, this is the place! Join the competitive but adorable Leona in a game of pool and prepare to get stomped.

I highly recommend!

Dress Code: This is a casual, come as you are, hangout. You'll find locals and ex-pats mingling together!

Address: 260 Xinshi Road, Suzhou
Directions: In the heart of Suzhou, near the grand canal. Right across the street from the Pan Pacific Sheridan, which if you get into a cab and say "Sheridan" you can usually get to with no problem!
othercontact: Liuhyinhua@163.com
Phone: 15151529212
Theme: Nightclub

• Updated Nov 17, 2011

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.