"Travelling to Nordkapp midwinter" Nordkapp Transportation Tip by angiebabe

Nordkapp Transportation: 8 reviews and 15 photos

Hi I think the best way, if not the only way, is by travelling on the Hirtigruten coastal voyager boat. I did it in Feb a few years ago and got on at Harstad and they stop long enough on their northward route to make excursions available to Nordkapp - they have to have a snow plough organised to go ahead for their bus for the road from the port - Jan will have even shorter daylight hours than when i was there with a lovely sunset at about 215 and then it was dark as we got back to port about 3. I bought my tickets for the Hirtigruten either over the phone or booked and then paid when I got on the boat as that was a lot cheaper than their prices quoted by their Uk agency and it was not really very expensive but is absolutely beautiful - when I got on the boat I was told the previous weeks would have been even cheaper and included meals as a special offer so she at least gave me a free breakfast or something - tremendous trip. You could fly to or somehow get to Tromso and get on it there - their website shows all their stops and ports and their Norwegian phone number is also good for contact.
I have a few pics in my Nordkapp page here on VT if youd like to have a look.
I would love to do it again but starting from lower south such as Bergen.

Mode: TO
Type: Ship/Boat

• Written Nov 17, 2011

Comments

angiebabe

“be prepared, be respectful, try the food, meet the people, walk, walk, walk, keep your eyes open and take your camera”

Have you been to Nordkapp?