Tantas: "Good Peruvian Food in Central Lima" Lima Restaurant Tip by TooTallFinn24

Lima Restaurants: 142 reviews and 164 photos

This was the first meal we had in Peru. There were four of us. We were looking for some place where we could eat outside because it was a warm winter day. So we arrived at Tanta in old town. There is another Tanta's in Mira Flores.

I had the Tanta version Papa La Huancaina. The dish consisted of potatoes Sliced Boiled Potatoes spicy yellow sauce (which contains Turmeric) served on top of lettuce greens. There was a distinct taste of egg and cheese in the dish. It was good even though when it arrived at the table I had my doubts.

My wife had a pulled pork sandwich. We couldn't remember the Spanish word for it but she indicated it was good and it had a dark sauce almost like a mole sauce. The other people in the party had cerviche. They indicated that Tanta's cerviche was quite good. It was served with fruit that looked like oranges and lemons.

We all had a couple rounds of Pisco sours. For those of you not familiar with this drink it consists of pisco, lemon or lime juice, egg whites, syrup, and bitters. The pisco sours at tantos were very good and hit the spot. After the second pisco sour I could definitely fill it and ended up walking around downtown Lima a lot slower that day.

None of us had any desert. The cost was higher than we expected. For four it was about $75.

Favorite Dish: The Papa La Huancaina definitely was good and unique.

Address: Av. Pancho Fierro 117, San Isidro,
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Old Town Central Lima
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Written Nov 15, 2011

TooTallFinn24

“Travel is the only thing you can buy that makes you richer.”

Have you been to Lima?