"TYVEK Waterproof Rain Gear" France Packing List Tip by wandering360

France What to Pack: 83 reviews and 45 photos

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I recently came across a Dutch gentleman on a pilgrimage of Buddhist temples in the LOIRE valley of all places. (Yes, temples-NOT cathedrals).

He was walking ~40kms per day from temple to temple -- presumably on the Chemins de Grande Randonnée. I thought I traveled light, but he said I was carrying too much weight.... So my tip of the day is ultralight rain gear:

Many people bring waterproof, breathable rain gear. To shed weight, others have resorted to using disposable plastic emergency rain ponchos... but these don't breathe and are easily torn.

Now, I've discovered TYVEK -- a breathable fabric made of polyethylene fibers. It is extremely waterproof, compact, lightweight and durable. Best of all, you can easily find Tyvek clothing in the form of protective garments used by painters, lab technicians & hazardous-materials workers. Your local paint store will carry overalls for less than $10! Separate Jackets and Pants are also available if you look. Perfect for a sudden Tour de France rain storm! :)

• Updated Nov 15, 2011

“Get Lost !!! (It's part of the adventure....)”

Have you been to France?