The Ship Aground: "Fishcakes Made With Fish!!" The Ship Aground Tip by johngayton

The Ship Aground, Mortehoe: 1 reviews and 2 photos

Fishy Fishcakes
      Fishy Fishcakes
      Next Door To The Church
    by johngayton

I've already written this pub under "Things To Do" but hey I enjoyed my lunch here and so here's the the tip again:

After my couple of hours walking I'd worked up both a thirst and a hunger and so it was time for some more rehydration and a bite to eat.

For those that know me it'll come as no surprise that as soon as I saw the fishcakes on the "Specials Board" I didn't need to bother with the rest of the menu.

This is much more of a food pub than a drinkers den but the Otter Ale (3.20 a pint) was in perfect nick and when I mentioned to the friendly barman that I had intended to eat outside but the front patio was full he pointed me to a table in its own little sun trap of a patio at the side of the pub, overlooking the church.

That was perfect for me and when my fishcakes arrived I was suitably impressed to find that these were the real McCoy - proper homemade patties with loads of chunky bits of smoked haddock and a nice simple, but substantial, side-salad with lashings of home-made coleslaw.

At 9.50 this was particularly cheap but then it's a short season up here in North Devon and so I can forgive that. The beer was in fine fettle and relaxing in the afternoon sun resulted in me dehydrating again and so required a second which was just as good as the first.

Address: The Square, Mortehoe
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Next door to the church.
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4

• Written Nov 13, 2011

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Mortehoe?