"The 3 Pubs - #1 Smugglers Rest" Pubs Tip by johngayton

Side View

Side View
      View From Bus Stop
    by johngayton

As I mention in my intro one thing that definitely endears me to Mortehoe is that it has three excellent pubs. Each has its own character and so attracts a slightly different type of clientele which is exactly as it should be.

The first pub you come across if arriving by bus, and getting off at the Post Office, is the Smugglers Rest. The bar here is what I would describe as homely, a bit like sitting in someone's front room, but none the worse for that. Service was friendly and the beer spot on - I enjoyed a pint of the Devon Brewing Company's "Pale Ale" which at 3.20 wasn't particularly cheap but, as I was to find out, is in fact the norm for the village.

I was particularly impressed with the decked patio out the back (for obvious reasons - cough! cough!) and the fact that it is covered provided ideal shade from the noonday's sun as I rehydrated following my 3 hours on various buses.

As well as decent beer the pub also serves what looks like reasonably-priced bar food and the inn has half-a-dozen en-suite letting rooms with doubles starting from 50 per night (winter prices).

Address: North Morte Road
Directions: On the corner, opposite the Post Office.
Website: http://www.thesmugglersrest.co.uk/

• Written Nov 13, 2011

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM

An interesting village - not sure we will make the walk to and from the beach but I know refreshments will be welcome anyway in one or more of those pubs. I've seen an ad, from which it seems The Smugglers is up for sale......

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Mortehoe?