"Cultural Centre and Haak'u Museum" Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo Things to Do Tip by toonsarah

Acoma Pueblo Things to Do: 36 reviews and 65 photos

At the Cultural Centre
by toonsarah

The Acoma Cultural Centre is not only the starting place for tours, it is also worth a visit in its own right. I loved the building itself, with its heavy doors (carved to resemble 19th century textiles) and restful interior. The Haak'u Museum displays not only traditional Acoma wares, especially pottery, but also hosts changing exhibitions of more modern art and crafts. When we were there in September 2011 there were two excellent photography exhibitions, one of photographs taken across New Mexico by Craig Varjabedian and the other, which we found the more interesting, of photographs by local Acoma residents. The latter, although amateur, were very accomplished and in some cases powerful works. There was also a very interesting display of modern interpretations of traditional native art.

The Cultural Centre also has a café, where the food is reputed to be very good although we only had a cold drink so can?t really comment (it looked good though!). There is the inevitable gift shop, with some very good quality merchandise including the traditional Acoma pottery, but I would only recommend buying this here if you are unable to do the pueblo tour for some reason (e.g. if you are a wheelchair user, or if you come in winter when tours aren?t available). Otherwise save your cash for the sellers in the pueblo itself, as it?s much more interesting to buy direct from the artist, and probably a little cheaper too.

Directions: Several exits from I40 lead to Acoma ? best to take exit 96 if coming from Grants and 108 or 102 if coming from Albuquerque (we arrived via exit 96 and returned to I40 at 108). The Cultural Centre is signposted all the way from the Interstate.
Website: http://museum.acomaskycity.org/

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars

• Written Nov 12, 2011

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Acoma Pueblo?