"Visitor etiquette" Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo Warnings Or Dangers Tip by toonsarah

Acoma Pueblo Warnings and Dangers: 5 reviews and 5 photos

During our tour
by toonsarah

The website (below) explains the etiquette rules for visitors to Acoma, and it is important that you read and abide by these. Think of it as a visit to another country, whose laws must be upheld and whose traditions respected.

The rules are:

~You MUST register for a guided tour in order to visit the Pueblo.
~Please stay with your tour guide at ALL times and do not wander off the designated tour route.
~Always stay on the path when descending on foot from Sky City.
~Absolutely no video cameras, digital video cameras or cellular phone cameras are permitted.
~During feast days, please stay clear of the dancers, as they symbolize a special honor for the occasion.
~Restrain your children at all times. Absolutely no pets are allowed on tour.
~No Smoking
~When traveling on Pueblo land, stay on the highway as off road sight-seeing, camping and rock climbing are strictly prohibited.
~A camera permit must be purchased before taking any pictures on the Acoma Reservation and will be covered by Acoma Business Enterprises for your visit.
~Absolutely NO photography allowed inside the Church and within the cemetery courtyard.
~Permission must be obtained prior to photographing any tribal member or their artwork
~Use of tripods, video cameras, digital video cameras, cellular phone cameras and binoculars are STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Your camera and or film may be confiscated.
~Commercial use of a photograph depicting Acoma imagery for personal gain (profit) is prohibited.

Website: http://sccc.acomaskycity.org/guidelines

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars

• Written Nov 12, 2011

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2015 at 4:48 PM

No binoculars? Jesus Christ! This place is weird. I honestly don't understand why we can't use binoculars or video/audio devices. It's better to have the correct information, than accidently say something wrong.
    Not my kind of destination. The place looks interesting, but that's WAY too many rules for me, and all this permit stuff, is something I just don't want to deal with. I don't understand why they open these places to the public, if you cannot take pictures.
    I did see some Youtube videos of the place, so I guess anything is possible if you have money, and know the right people.
    I wonder what they would do if you managed to "illegally" obtain some video and they found it online.

I noticed that Indians in general to not like to be photographed or taped. Even their tourist shows and art. No idea why. The Caribbean and African countries are also like this, but at least they let you photograph tourist shows. I don't understand why they don't want to share their incredible culture with the world. It would help people better understand and appreciate it. And maybe they'd change our opinions of us.
    Very strange.

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Acoma Pueblo?