"20) Hall of Mental Cultivation" Forbidden City - The Palace Museum Tip by cal6060

  Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City
by cal6060
 
  • Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City - Beijing
      Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City
    by cal6060
  • Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City - Beijing
      Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City
    by cal6060
  • Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City - Beijing
      Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City
    by cal6060
  • Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City - Beijing
      Hall of Mental Cultivation, Forbidden City
    by cal6060
 

Hall of Mental Cultivation is my favorite among all the buildings at the west of Forbidden City. It looks like a temple with a " 凸 " shape building from the front. It was a where emperors lived during Qing Dynasty.

The signboard was written as:

" Constructed in 1537 (the 16th year of the Jiajing reign period of the Ming Dynasty), this building, in the shape of " 工" , is divided into two halls-the front and rear halls, which are linked by covered corridors, and surrounded by side corridors. Eight emperors of the Qing Dynasty, starting with Emperor Yongzheng, lived here. There is a throne in the front hall, where the emperor handled state affairs and received his officials. On the west, there is a large room between two small rooms. The large room was for the emperor's officials in charge of confidential work, and a small room at the back of it is famous San Xi Tang (Room of Three Rarities). The east room has two thrones, separated by a yellow gauze curtain, behind which joint empresses Dowager Ci Xi and Ci An supervised the court in the late Qing Dynasty. The rear hall was where the emperor slept. In the center of the hall there is a kang (a heatable brick bed) for people to sit on. In the east room there is a throne. The west room holds a large clothes closet decorated with dragon and cloud patterns, and a kang for sitting on. The rear hall holds a large number of ornaments. According to the "Archive of the Ornaments of Yang Xing Dian," the rear hall has total of 724 ornaments. On the left side of the rear hall is Ti Shun Tang (Hall of Swallows' Happiness).
In 1911 (the third year of Xuantong reign period), the Revolution of 1911 broke out. Empress Dowager Longyu held a "palace meeting" here, at which she decided to abdicate. The words " Yang Xing" come from the Mencius, meaning that the best way to cultivate one's mind is to reduce one's desires. "

NEXT: Hall of Benevolence (Jingren Palace)

In Chinese: 养心殿 (Yang Xin Dian)

Address: North of Tiananmen Square
Directions: In the West of Forbidden City.
Phone: 010-85007422, 85007421
Website: http://www.dpm.org.cn/

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated Aug 2, 2012
  • Send to a Friend
  • Add to your Trip Planner
  • Report Abuse

Comments

cal6060

“Planning! Moving! Seeing! Touching! Believing! ”

Online Now

Male

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 4 0 5
Forum Rank:
0 0 0 7 8

Have you been to Beijing?

  Share Your Travels