"Don't be a sucker." Times Square Tip by StreetSmartSOB

Times Square, New York City: 272 reviews and 432 photos

If you really have to walk around Times Square, just be aware that this is a haven for street hustlers. Stay around 42nd and 7th thru 52nd and 7th. 8th Ave is sleazy with gangs, peep shows, topless bars, and people trying to get money from you. Port Authority (42nd and 8th Ave) is the worst to walk by. Always some piece of garbage guy standing around observing targets to molest or rub or hustle. My best advice for anyone not from New York City who wants to walk around Times Square is to be aware, don't stare, don't act afraid, be cool and try to act like you've been there and done that. Ignore everyone who approaches you in the street for something. I mean that. Sometimes it's just a trap. Ignore them. You don't have to be nice and smile and say no or yes to whatever it is that they are asking you. Just keep walking and wipe the dirt off your shoulders. Move on. You didn't come here for some lame unfunny comedy club tickets, to donate something for some irresistable cause, to give some bum a dollar or nickel, discuss for an hour of your time about becoming a Jehovah's Witness, buy fake gold, help some bum pretending he needs $3.50 to get home, or fall prey to some BS scheme . Only take a yellow cab. Don't get ripped off (overcharged) by the crooks who drive the town cars. The moment they tell you how incredible and difficult it is to get anywhere without them, give them the ol'Bronx cheer (figuratively speaking). Walk away from them. say "that's okay. no thanks. " They don't need to know your business. Many of these cabbies (even the ones in yellow cabs) ask you questions because they want to feel you out. "Oh so you here on vacation?"- this means if you are, I will take you an extra 12 blocks the wrong way to jack up the price on the meter. "I know a good place, you can go" means -I will drive you all over and around New York not 'cause I'm nice but because I think you are a sucker and I can make a fortune off of you. "oh is this all I get as a tip?" means can I suck up more money out of you even though you've tipped me generously already.

Address: Times Square
Directions: 42nd Street-52 st, Broadway to 7th avenue
Phone: (212) 768-1560
Website: http://www.timessquarenyc.org/index.aspx

• Updated Nov 10, 2011

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to New York City?