"Where to live... and where to avoid" Padova Warnings Or Dangers Tip by ScarletCake

Padova Warnings and Dangers: 21 reviews and 17 photos

It seems silly to mention 'bad areas' of town and Padova in the same sentence, because this must be one of the safest places I have ever seen. However while I was on the hunt for permanent accommodation, the locals had some harsh words to say about certain areas. Now curiosity really does get the better of me sometimes, so I had to take a quick cycle tour through these parts, to see what all the the fuss was about. I think they were right...

(Disclaimer: This list merely represents first impressions, and the opinions of a small group of locals. I hope some of my thoughts could be proven wrong in the future)

- Near the station/ just north of the station - a hotbed of bike theft, and generally average-looking area.
- The general region around Stanga/ via Venezia, Centro Giotto. Again, more theft than normal here. While Centro Giotto is a brilliant place to find necessary items, I suggest you stay elsewhere and come here when needed.
If you are coming on university business, they tend to place you on via del Portello... it's not too bad (especially when the students are out) but I was told to not walk alone here at night.

If you are staying in big hotels, you are probably fine to be anywhere in Padova. Coming from a big city, I sometimes think the locals here are making mountains out of molehills. You will not be robbed at gunpoint (I hope!), but the bad areas are where the drugs get dealt, and where unattended bicycles slowly lose parts over the course of a few days/weeks, becoming sad little bicycle skeletons.

• Written Nov 8, 2011