HIRUT RESTAURANT - Harer, Ethiopia: "THE REAL DEAL" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Restaurant Tip by DAO
Africa Restaurants: 143 reviews and 458 photos
If you manage to visit the historical city of Harer in Ethiopia, make sure you have at least one meal here. They are the real deal for a large meal that’s full of flavour and still won’t cost a lot. They specialise in Ethiopian dishes, but I like a lot of food. Especially if it’s good Ethiopian cuisine. The main picture is my meal. Just ask for ‘Marhaberawi’. I am not sure how it is actually spelled, but it means ‘brig me a little of everything!’. All served on Injera of course. You get meat (beef and/or lamb), chicken, egg, vegetables and several sauces depending on what dish they put a portion of onto your big meal! Just looking at the photos I can see tibs, kitfo, doro wat, fir fir, vegetables and salad.
It’s not gourmet, but good solid food. Throw in a large gin, a few Harar beers and you have a good feast.
The restaurant itself is large and airy. There is a large terrace area if you want to dine outside. Inside they have a coffee ceremony area, music and even a sort of dance floor towards the rear.
The staff are friendly, helpful and a good laugh. I was made to feel very welcome.
Harar is not blessed with a lot of restaurants, but Hirut was good enough I ate here twice during my stay in Harar. Its god fun, good value and a good time.
Get in there!
Please take 2 notes down:
1) They have many great tasting vegetarian dishes
2) The non-Ethiopian dishes are not great looking. One of the party I ate with ordered fried chicken and it didn’t look great (last photo)
Any Ethiopian dish and a big gin!
Address: Harer, Ethiopia
Price Comparison: about average
In the new town. Take a Bajaj (A tuk tuk or small taxi based upon a motorcycle) for about $1 from most places in the city to the restaurant.
Phone: 0256 660419
Price: less than US$10
More Reviews (338)
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All The Flag of Burkina Faso
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All RETURN GLASS BOTTLES
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL – THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels