New Mexico Steakhouse: "Surprisingly good" Grants Restaurant Tip by toonsarah

Chris in the restaurant

Chris in the restaurant
      Pollo Santa Fe - yummy!
    by toonsarah

As we were staying in the Best Western, and with only fast food chains in sight, we decided to give its own restaurant a try that evening. I have to say that we were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food here.

The décor isn’t bad for a hotel restaurant either, if not particularly imaginative: faded textiles, large booths around the edge, and lots of old Western paraphernalia attached to the walls. There were saddles, stirrups, rifles, but also assorted household items such as jugs and enamel bowls – the sort of stuff we’d been seeing piled high in so-called “antique” shops (aka junk no one else had a home for) but which worked well in this setting.

The service was friendly and the sole waiter coped well with a reasonably busy room. We were pleased to be shown to one of the booths even though there were just two of us, and he immediately offered to bring beers from the bar across the lobby if we wanted a larger selection than the few on the menu, which we did!

Favorite Dish: Chris decided to keep things simple and went for the traditional cheeseburger (he could also have had one served New Mexican style with green chilli). I chose the Pollo Santa Fe, a chicken breast covered with melted cheese and green chilli sauce, served with rice and beans, and in a fit of guilt at how unhealthily I had been eating, added a house salad. This latter came with a good blue cheese dressing (yes, I know I said healthy, but ...) and was a generous enough size for us to share. My chicken dish was delicious and I really enjoyed it. We paid $34 for the two mains, the salad, and a beer each, including tax and service.

We then decided on a night-cap in the sports-themed Rookies Bar which was very large and very empty – just us and the barmaid! It seemed that most of the people who’d been eating in the restaurant were staying in other nearby motels and had come over to eat here as it was probably the best choice in this rather uninspiring strip.

Address: 1501 E Sante Fe Avenue, Grants, NM
Comparison: about average
Directions: In the Best Western Hotel, on the motel strip just off I40
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Steakhouse

• Written Nov 7, 2011

Comments

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Have you been to Grants?