"Phones and mobiles in Iceland." Top 5 Page for this destination ReykjavÝk Things to Do Tip by Regina1965

ReykjavÝk Things to Do: 623 reviews and 2,054 photos

The offer in the brochure on the plane.
by Regina1965
      The offer in the brochure on the plane.
    by Regina1965
  • - Reykjavík

Mobiles/cell phones are very widely used here in Iceland, everybody has got at least one. It came as a surprise to me when visiting Canada that not everybody had a cell phone, here it is like an extension of Icelanders and I never leave the house without my cell phone. The Icelandic nation is gadget crazy and iPhone 5 is amongst the most popular mobile phones here.

It might be a good idea to get yourself an Icelandic SIM card when visiting. We have Frelsi, which is a pre-paid service. And we have 4 phone companies Vodafone, Nova, SÝminn and Tal which recently emerged with 365 Mi­lar.

I add a photos from the brochure in the WOW airplanes, but the same offer is valid with Icelandair as well. One can buy a basic mobile phone with an Icelandic SIM-card from SÝminn and a Voucher for ISK 1.000 for only ISK 4.990 aboard the plane. One can also buy just the SIM-card from SÝminn with a Voucher for ISK 2.000 - for only ISK 2.000.

I recommend this, especially if one wants to stay connected with a VT-member here in Iceland (that would be me). I had problems when I met up with VT-members from the USA and Canada as we sent SMS which didn┤t get delivered.

To look up numbers here in Iceland the most widely used link is ja.is where you can find good street-maps as well. Of course we have a phone-directory as well where people are listed by their first name, but I solely use ja.is to find phone-numbers. And 118 and 1818 are the numbers for assistance in looking up people or addresses.

• Updated Apr 27, 2015

• kaloz's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2016 at 4:55 AM

oops, I do not have a mobile phone. I am a retired postman and I write letters.

• kaloz's Profile Photo
      Sep 3, 2016 at 7:13 AM

haha. Devices in America are sold by a phone company and usually require a 2 year contract. Also, the service is very bad where I live. I make less than 10 calls each year, but if I can get a device in Iceland and SIM card without a contract, I would do that, if the price is not too much.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Sep 3, 2016 at 7:54 AM

Yes, it is without a contract.

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2015 at 2:46 AM

The stay connected in Iceland website does not seem to be working

“Bon Voyage :)”

Have you been to ReykjavÝk?