"Hiking from Quilotoa to Tigua" Hiking to Tigua from Quilotoa Tip by MalenaN

Hiking to Tigua from Quilotoa, Tigua: 1 reviews and 5 photos

• - Tigua
    by MalenaN

I had heard that you should not do the hike from Quilotoa (3900m) to Tigua (3500m) without a guide as it is very difficult to find the right way, but I had also heard it is possible to do the hike alone, but you must ask people you see along the way for direction. I decided to do the hike alone, but without a map and description it was not easy. For Isinliv´- Chugchilán I had a simple map with description, and for Chugchilán - Quilotoa I had a simple map. And for both those walks I knew the direction more or less, for example you can see the top of the Quilotoa crater from Chugchilán, even if it is far away. For the hike between Quilotoa and Tigua I didn?t know anything, only that you follow the crater rim for a while in the beginning.

When I saw someone outside their house or in their field I asked for direction, but there were not always people around and if there was a fork in the path I had to choose which one to take. A few times I turned around to go back and take another path. I walked down and up two deep canyons and around mountains. After 5.5 hours I came to something that looked like a village and I asked I woman for the direction. She said that that village was a part of Tigua, called something I can?t remember. I thought I must be close and followed the dirt road. It took ages as the dirt road was winding up to the main road.

I had already heard that Posada de Tigua is situated a few km from Tigua, but I had hoped to get something to eat in the village and to visit the art gallery where they sell Tigua paintings. How wrong I was. Tigua is not a proper village, but a very spread out community, so I didn?t see a place to eat, and the gallery was situated even further away than Posada de Tigua from where I reached the main road.

When I finally reached the main road (Latacunga - Zumbahua) I had no idea if I should take left or right and had to go down a path to ask some people working in their field. I got the right direction and now there was a few km more to walk, but this time along the main road, and it had also started to rain. I reached Posada de Tigua 7h after I left the hostel in Quilotoa. It had been a long walk, which definitely had been shorter if I had walked with a guide, but I don?t regret walking alone. When I reached Posada de Tigua I could see that ?as the crows fly? it was not too far from where I had been 1.5 hours earlier, but the question is if there had been another way getting past the canyon.

Since I came home I have looked at Google Earth to figure out the way I took and too see if there was a better one. It is hard to say as the landscape is full of canyons, rivers and mountains and I don?t know were it is possible to pass and there is no strait path.

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars