"Andrew's Descent" Andriyivsky Uzviz Tip by smirnofforiginal

Andriyivsky Uzviz, Kiev: 17 reviews and 49 photos

It is a steep, cobble stoned, curving, crooked street. AT the top there is St. Andrew's church and all the way down there are stall selling everything from Russian and Nazi memorabilia to tourist t.shirts, arts, crafts and general tat!

At the time of my visit (October 2011, there was a LOT of work being done to both the church and the street so I don't think I was fully able to get the "charm" that my Lonely Planet book described Andriyivsky uzviz as having.

I did get a couple of good souvineers from here so, in that respect it was a worth while trip for me.

It had a feeling of decay and decline - which I believe is the charm... perhaps when it is all freshened up and made good by the builders that will be lost. I can only presume their aim is to get it all done and ready for the football next year and the possible hoarde of visitors the football may bring in...

Website: http://kiev.segodnya.ua/kwheretogo/andreevskiy-spusk-v-kieve-portal-v-potustoronniy-mir-i-vtoroy-dom-bulgakova-565444.html

• Written Nov 6, 2011

“Enter, traveller, into this immensity”

Have you been to Kiev?