East thai, Covent Garden: "A very decent Thai." East Thai - CLOSED Tip by planxty

East Thai - CLOSED, London: 1 reviews and 3 photos

Food, East Thai restaurant, London, UK.
by planxty

Food, East Thai restaurant, London, UK.
    by planxty
      East Thai restaurant, London, UK.
    by planxty
      VT party, East Thai restaurant, London, UK.
    by planxty

Firstly, apologies for the photo which does not show the restaurant at all to best advantage. I had forgotten my camera the previous evening and so do not have any images of the food, which is a shame.

My dining companion recommended this place having eaten there before and it proved to ba a good choice. It is quite a small restaurant and was fairly empty when we visited on a midweek night in November. The restaurant is situated in the middle of "theatreland" so the fact that the theatres were still in may have had a bearing on this. Service was prompt and friendly in that wonderful Thai way and the food delivered quickly.

I started with the chicken satay which had obviously been barbecued over an open flame in the authentic Thai way giving it that slightly smoky flavour that I love. It was served with a delicious peanut dipping sauce. For main course I had ordered the jungle curry (Gaeng Pa), a dish from the Isaan (Northeastern) region of Thailand, which can be almost volcanically hot if made authentically. I had made a point of telling the waitress that I liked "pet" or hot and that I had had it before so tell chef not to worry about offending my farang "Western" palate with too much spice. The dish certainly delivered on the heat front it was excellent, very tasty. I always associate jungle curry as being a fairly dry curry but this was served more in the soup style, which is the first time I have had it like that. Perhaps it was just some local vriation of the chefs home. The sticky rice accompaniment, another favourite, was preferred perfectly.

All washed down with a bottle of Thai beer, it was a most pleasant meal.

Recommended.

Update, January 2013.

The London-Calling VT group organised a meet there. In the event things conspired a little against us, not least the weather which was unseasonably bitter and snowy and there were only four of us in attendance. We were waited on with the usual friendly and efficient service and I decided to stick with my favourite, the jungle curry. I skipped the starter as I had eaten earlier in the day. I did my usual explanation that I could take hot food, and again, it delivered brilliantly. The ladies all seemed equally pleased with their choices and we had a lovely evening.

I wrote the original tip above in November 2011 and I can report that this is still a great little place and definitely recommended.

Favorite Dish: The chicken satay was particularly delicious.

Address: 176 Drury Lane London WC2B 5QF
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: On the East side of Drury Lane towards the Holborn end.
Phone: +00 44 (0)207 405 5551
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim
Website: http://www.just-eat.co.uk/restaurants-eastthai/menu

• Updated Jan 24, 2013

Comments

planxty Lives Here!

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to London?