"Grand scale - but area seems a bit seedy" Piazza del Popolo Tip by zadunajska8

The twin churches in Piazza del Popolo
      The twin churches in Piazza del Popolo
      Piazza del Popolo
    by zadunajska8

I walked down to the Piazza del Popolo after spending much of the day up the hill at the Borghese Gardens. It is true to say that the scale of the piazza is grand by anyones standard.

There are some interesting architectural features such as the Porta del Popolo which is one of the old gates into Rome (medieval) and the twin churches either side of Via Del Corso - Santa Maria del Miracoli and Santa Maria in Montesanto.

The squares main church is Santa Maria del Popolo and I was surprised at how tucked away in a corner it seems. Sadly it was closed when we got there and so we couldn't go inside (it closes between 12 noon and 4pm).

The disappointing aspect of the piazza is however how seedy the area feels. There are numerous cafes nearby, in particular at the entrances to teh streets leading off the piazza but all have a tacky, touristy and/or dubious look about them in my opinion and I wasn't at all tempted to linger.

Directions: At The northern end of Via del Corso. Metro station Flamino is on the opposite side of Piazzale Flamino from the Porta del Popolo.

• Written Nov 6, 2011

“If I haven't been there yet, then I probably want to go”

Have you been to Rome?