"Take a foot-bath in a hot-tub by the ocean." Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Off The Beaten Path Tip by Regina1965

Reykjavík Off The Beaten Path: 47 reviews and 160 photos

On Culture night in 2013.
by Regina1965

On Culture night in 2013.
      Hjallinn - the shed.
    by Regina1965
      I in the foot-bath in 2011.
    by Regina1965
      A VT-member and I in the foot-bath in 2013.
      The foot-bath.
    by Regina1965

I don´t know if this can be added under "off the beaten path" as so many people visit Grótta, but I add this here as this area belongs to Seltjarnarnes, which is the town adjacent to Reykjavík in the west, although one has to be a native to know where Reykjavík ends and Seltjarnarnes begins. I refer to my tip on Grótta.

By the ocean just before you enter the parking lot by Grótta there is a small round geothermal hot-tub on the northern shore, Norđurströnd, in a place called Kisuklappir. It is quite surreal taking a foot-bath there, the water is hot and so nice and the ocean is just beside you. And the view of the bay and the mountains and Grótta is ever so nice. I highly recommend it. The hot-tub is an art-work/sculpture by Ólöf Nordal and is called Kvika. It was opened here on this spot on Culture night in 2005.

Above the hot-tub there is a small structure from Hitaveita Seltjarnarness, or the Hot-Water-Supply of Seltjarnarnes. From that pumping station there is a constant flow of hot water into the hot-tub. I add a special tip on the hot-water pumping station.

In October and November in 2011 Iceland has a special happening so to speak, to welcome foreigners to Iceland. One of the events was that one of our ministers invited foreigners to take a foot-bath with her in the hot-tub.

The hot-tub is behind the shed called Hjallurinn, and there you will also find a bench, a drinking fountain, an anchor and an information video of the flora and fauna on the shore. Often there is a stench from Hjallurinn as shark is being cured there.

I use this foot-bath often. On occasion is has been too hot to use.

• Updated Jan 26, 2015

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2015 at 12:59 AM

That must be a strange feeling, to take a hot foot bath in a natural stone tub right by the ocean.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:21 AM

It is awesome and gets me so much in touch with the forces of nature :)

• akkipaa's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2015 at 10:41 PM

The weather is like +8 in your pic, water +17 but how an earth the stone pool can be hot? Is it more than 50? Hey, you swam there! At least changed your clothes (hmm... and washed your hair :)

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:18 AM

Haha, yes, these photos are taken over a period of 3 years. Above the hot-tub there is a small structure from the Hot-water-supply of Seltjarnarnes. From that structure there is constant flow of hot water into the hot-tub.

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Looks like you over flowed it. lol And why is your hair brown in the first pic, but blonde in the last pic?

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:02 PM

Brown is my natural colour and I think I am going to keep it that way, too much hassle having to dye it all the time. Once I dyed it black and loved it ;)

• briantravelman's Profile Photo
      Jan 10, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Whatever you like. It's your hair. I was just saying, blonde is a good color on you.
      How do they make it, so it doesn't run off in the shower?

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2015 at 3:56 PM

a little bigger and you could immerse your whole body in it . I guess it is free!

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:47 AM

Yes, it is free, but it can be extremely hot at times, so I would not want to immerse my whole body in it :)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Is that a new photo? It's lovely!

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Thanks, Dee, yes it was taken last August while Jonathan was visiting :)

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Have you been to Reykjavík?