"THE FLAG OF CAPE VERDE" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Local Custom Tip by DAO
Africa Local Customs: 97 reviews and 215 photos
The current Flag of Cape Verde is relatively new (1992) and is very befitting an island nation. It has 10 stars on it represent the 10 islands making up the county – which are clearly to one side. That’s because the stars are on the hoist side of the flag making it a flag for land and a naval ensign all-in-one. It was officially adopted when Cape Verde dissolved its political ties from Guinea-Bissau on the mainland. It is derived from the flag of the Partido Africano da Independência da Guiné e Cabo Verde (P.A.I.G.C.), the liberation movement which successfully gained independence for both countries (Guinea-Bissau in 1974, Cape Verde 1975).
The colours and symbols represent:
Blue: the Sea and Sky
Red: Hard work/effort of the nation
Stripes: the road to construction of the nation
10 stars: the 10 islands
The circle of stars: represents everything from unity to the globe and even a navigators compass.
More Local Customs in Africa (31)
More Reviews (395)
- See All Don’t Bother in Massawa
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All RETURN GLASS BOTTLES
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL – THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels