"Enjoy the decrepitude" Naples Off The Beaten Path Tip by leics

Naples Off The Beaten Path: 89 reviews and 137 photos

Many buildings in central historical Naples are in very poor condition. It has not been a rich city for many, many centuries.... and that shows.

But, somehow, the peeling plasterwork, the grime and the decay only add to the experience and the unique atmosphere...for me, as a visitor, at any rate. I imagine it is quite a different thing to actually live in central historical Naples.

Don't equate decaying buildings with crime and danger: in this case the two simply do *not* equate.

It is rare that one gets the chance to observe how buildings can and do decay if the money is not there for their upkeep and their repair. I found it interesting, and rather sad, and wished that the money could somehow be found to reserve central Naples' architectural heritage.

But I fear that eventually, if earthquake or eruption does not do the job first (and I sincerely hope neither occur, for I am sure there would be massive loss of life) many buildings in central historical Naples will have to be demolished. And what will replace them, I wonder?

• Written Nov 5, 2011

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2016 at 11:31 PM

Maybe that's also one thing why I want to visit Napoli. And maybe it is not that difficult living inside? Often I found that many beautiful outsides are all show and no substance, maybe here it is different?

• leics's Profile Photo
      Feb 25, 2016 at 12:34 AM

I think inside is probably absolutely fine (notice the new windows). There are echoes here of other cultures I've experienced, where (traditionally, and for exactly the right reasons) it is considered wrong to display your wealth to the world. It should be inside, hidden from public view. The exterior should be nothing special at all.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Feb 25, 2016 at 2:11 AM

So true!

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Have you been to Naples?