"Via San Gregorio Armeno" Naples Off The Beaten Path Tip by leics

Naples Off The Beaten Path: 89 reviews and 137 photos

A crib...
      A crib...
    by leics
      Every single one of these was moving in some way
      And more cribs...
    by leics

This is *the* place to buy your Christmas crib (presepi). The whole street is lined with workshops which create the cribs throughout the year.

It's one of Naple's most picturesque streets anyway and, annoyingly, was more-or-less completed blocked when I visited: a decrepit, derelict building on Via S Gregorio Armeno near San Lorenzo Maggiore was in the process of being stabilised, with much scaffolding and many safety barriers. Judging by the state of that building it is I suspect should have been done long before.

With luck you will visit when the stabilisation has been completed and so can have the pleasure of walking the full length of S Gregorio Armeno. I was restricted to either end.

Neopolitan presepi are hugely complex pieces of wooden construction, with lights and moving parts, water features, moss, bark and, often, famous people in caricature. They come in all sizes from the tiny-fit-into-your-suitcase to the enormous takes-up-a-whole-tabletop.

A definite must-see. Maybe walk the street before or after your visit to the equally unmissable excavations of San Lorenzo Maggiore?

Via S Gregorio Armeno runs between Via dei Tribunali and Via San Biagio dei Librai.

• Written Nov 5, 2011

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2016 at 11:27 PM

Ha, that is my street :-))) Maybe it will even be a kind of pilgrimage for me because I just love the so expressive Italian nativities - the whole scenes rather than Maria, Joseph and baby alone.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Feb 25, 2016 at 12:39 AM

You'd love it! I only took a few photos because I was a bit wary. Naples isn't a tourist-focused city and the whole point is to sell those wonderfully-elaborate presepi. I found them fascinating but certainly didn't want to buy one, not even the tiny fit-in-your-suitcase ones.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
      Feb 25, 2016 at 2:12 AM

I couldn't buy one too, you know how small my home is (even smaller now because of all the books that sit on floors :-) But I just enjoy looking at them and maybe even chat with one of the makers :-)

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Have you been to Naples?