"Look for the street shrines" Naples Off The Beaten Path Tip by leics

Naples Off The Beaten Path: 89 reviews and 137 photos

You will find street shrines all over Italy but, for some reason, I was very taken by those in central historical Naples.

Perhaps it was their place in the narrow Medieval streets.....I suspect they have been there for centuries.

Perhaps it was their presence as a sign of hope in what is clearly, still, a city with a very large population of poor people.

Perhaps, coming from a non-Catholic country as I do, I just find it touching that people care enough to even bother with street shrines.

Whatever, do keep you eyes open for them Some are clearly much more cared-about than others.

• Updated Nov 5, 2011

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2016 at 5:23 AM

Was browsing about this morning and ran across this. I dearly love the Madonnelle (and street-corner shrines to other saints) and did a travelogue about them in my Italy pages. Saw them in Belgium cities as well but not many of the 'peasant' sort which are so especially charming. "Madonnelle: Little Madonnas of the Streets" - Italy Travelogue by goodfish

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      Jul 24, 2016 at 6:32 AM

It's a city I need to explore. It's a little bit amusing for tourists to express a desire to see non-touristy 'real' Italy but then turn up their noses at gritty, chaotic Naples? 'Real' Italy doesn't always have a pretty face but that doesn't equate to lack of value.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Jul 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM

100% agree. People who want to see the 'real' anywhere always get right up my nose anyway. Everywhere is 'real', unless you're visiting a tourist trap (and more fool you if you are). I certainly need to explore central historical Naples more thoroughly. I spent longer in the archie museum than I'd intended (still not long enough, of course) so a return is essential.

leics

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Have you been to Naples?