"Alte Kirche (old church)" Flüelen Things to Do Tip by yumyum
Flüelen Things to Do: 4 reviews and 15 photos
The church is called ?old? church because it?s no longer in use as a church and was replaced by the Herz-Jesu church which is overlooking the town.
Flueelen used to have a chapel which obviously became too small. So in 1663/64 this church was built and on 16th November 1664 this church, St. George, was consecrated by the paptial Nuntius Federicus Borromaeus. At the end of the 19th century this church became too small. Besides it stood next to the new Gotthard railway line and it became rather noisy, so it was decided to build a new church, the Herz-Jesu which was finished in 1912. Therefore in 1912 the St. George church was exsecrated and the bishop ordered its demolition.
But the first world war arrived and the former church was used as a factory with internees. In the 1920s money was collected for repairs. Later the old church was used as gym, to house troups during WW2 and after the war to hold citizen?s meetings. In the 1950s discussions arose once more about demolishing the building and an association was founded to save it. Today, it?s used for cultural purposes.
Directions: opposite the railway station