"Very magic and airy and light - Maria Himmelfahrt" Hohenfurch Things to Do Tip by Trekki

Hohenfurch Things to Do: 2 reviews and 9 photos

Hohenfurch, Maria Himmelfahrt church
      Hohenfurch, Maria Himmelfahrt church
      Frescoes in the sanctuary
      Frescoes above the organ
  • Pulpit - Hohenfurch
      Main fresco: Assumption of Mary
    by Trekki

The church dedicated to St. Mary (full name Maria Himmelfahrt = Assumption of Virgin Mary) sits high on the hill part of Hohenfurch village. From the outside it looks rather simple and plain with its rectangular bell tower partly covered with shingles. But as it was the case with many of the Bavarian churches I visited during my short trip: nothing prepares you for the interior, especially in this case. The church dates back to 1394 and belonged to the Benedictine monastery of Füssen for a long time. It was extended in 18th century together with the widening up of the windows. This makes the whole single nave room much lighter and also the following restoration in rococo style added to this lightness and airiness. I think it was here in this little church when I suddenly understood what the builders of this style intended: to create a room for prayers where people can feel closer to heaven in a light and bight surroundings. Something like a contrast to the dark picture which was created in the past. This is something I find fascinating anyhow in my travels: reading and learning is one thing, but experiencing it and slowly understand the meaning behind is one of the most exciting aspects of travel and life in general.
Back to the church?s interior. What I loved inside was the very colourful and delicate yet sparsely used stucco work. Even now when I look at the photos it looks like a carefully done icing decoration in pastel colours. They all surround the frescoes, which are dedicated to Virgin Mary and the Guardian Angels. When I was there in October 2011, it was a beautiful sunny day and I was alone for quite a while, so I could take in the whole light atmosphere and look at every possible detail. Suddenly an elderly woman came in with most probably her granddaughter. They looked at the Thanksgiving decoration and talked about it in a way that I had this feeling again that this part of Bavaria is very much grounded and harmonic.

The church should be open daily. Somewhere I have read that it is only possible to see it from behind iron bars outside of mass times. But there was no bar, so I assume it was removed.
Entrance is free, but it would be nice to leave a donation for restoring in the box.

More photos in my travelogues: more impressions, detail photos and more impressions.

Location of Maria Himmelfahrt church on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., November 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

Directions: In Hohenfurch at the main crossing, drive eastward. The church is already insight and you can't miss it.
Website: http://www.hohenfurch.de/2100.0.html

• Updated Aug 4, 2013

More Things to Do in Hohenfurch (1)

Trekki Visits Here Frequently!

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Hohenfurch?