"Daytrip to Versailles" Versailles Tip by Dabs

My niece in the Hall of Mirrors

My niece in the Hall of Mirrors
      The hamlet
    by Dabs

If you have time for only one daytrip from Paris, my vote would go to Versailles, Louis XIV's opulent palace about 40 minutes away by RER train. It's easy to get to and of the chateaux and palaces I've seen within a day's range of Paris, this is the one that impressed me the most. Try to pick a sunny warm day to visit, the gardens and Marie Antoinette's estate are best enjoyed in lovely weater. The fountains are only turned on certain days, I believe it's just Saturday but check the website to be sure. I've visited three times and still haven't seen them turned on. Admission is more expensive on those days.

Versailles is included on the Paris Museum Pass, if you don't have one of those, it's highly recommended to pre purchase tickets before heading out although on my last visit in July 2011, the ticket line took less time than the security line.

You can easily spend the good part of a day here, try to visit early before the crowds start forming or you'll be jockeying with 100s of people for a peek at the rooms.

For more tips on visiting, you can visit my Versailles page

Website: http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage

• Updated Nov 2, 2011

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Paris?