"Daytrip to Versailles" Versailles - Daytrip Tip by Dabs

My niece in the Hall of Mirrors

My niece in the Hall of Mirrors
      The hamlet
  • - Paris

If you have time for only one daytrip from Paris, my vote would go to Versailles, Louis XIV's opulent palace about 40 minutes away by RER train. It's easy to get to and of the chateaux and palaces I've seen within a day's range of Paris, this is the one that impressed me the most. Try to pick a sunny warm day to visit, the gardens and Marie Antoinette's estate are best enjoyed in lovely weater. The fountains are only turned on certain days, I believe it's just Saturday but check the website to be sure. I've visited four times and still haven't seen them turned on. Admission is more expensive on those days.

Versailles is included on the Paris Museum Pass, if you don't have one of those, it's highly recommended to pre purchase tickets before heading out.

You can easily spend the good part of a day here, try to visit early before the crowds start forming or you'll be jockeying with 100s of people for a peek at the rooms. If the security line is long when you arrive, you can visit the gardens first and then come back and visit the interior. We presented our museum pass at the Grand and Petit trianons to gain access.

For more tips on visiting, you can visit my Versailles page

Address: Place d'Armes, 78000 Versailles
Phone: +33 1 30 83 78 00
Website: http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage

• Updated Jun 8, 2016

• Sienlu's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Been to Paris many time but never Versailles, I'm regretting it now :)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Jun 9, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Gives you a reason to go back! On a sunny day it's hard to beat visiting the gardens and hamlet :-)

• Sienlu's Profile Photo
      Jun 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Paris?