Shangri La: "medical emergency response" Fiji Hotel Tip by maria68

Fiji Hotels: 182 reviews and 230 photos

I must say I was quite surprised with some of the negative views, particularly in reference to Fijian time. I found the services provided no more of a wait than I would experience in any Australian hotel or restaurant, in fact often quicker!! Our rooms were quite modern-some people must have extremely high expectations!

What REALLY impressed us was the treatment we received when things suddenly went wrong for us. My husband went into a compromising cardiac arrhythmia. (SVT-sino ventricular tachicardia) I didn't even know they had a medical centre, but fortunately they did and they swiftly organised a van trip to the local hospital at Sagatoka. Helping hands were many, including the presence of the resort manager to oversea matters. Fortunately, his arrhythmia reverted at the hospital and medication commenced. Meanwhile, the resort management staff provided us with bottled water, and returned at lunch time unexpectedly with lunch and more water. They left us with a mobile phone to contact them when the hospital said we could go. Meanwhile, relatives at the resort were kept informed of
what was happening as they cared for our three children. On the way home they stopped at the pharmacy so that my husband could purchase the prescribed medication. All of this at no cost! The following days had many of the workers involved making personal or phone enquiries as to my husbands well-being, and they provided us with a late checkout the day we left, to fill the gap between checkout and the airflight.

Back to the Shangrila though - I would have loved it regardless. Being able to snorkel off the beach and experience the beautiful colors of the fish was wonderful. The weather wasn't great-obviously not there fault, but we could still see the fish despite the murky sand from all the rain. (The first couple of days the water was clear when the weather was good) The coral not as good as the Great Barrier reef, but the fish were fantastic.

Great to organise the food inclusive package. You can vary where you eat, and get to spend up to 80 Fijian per person for tea/dinner. That can include beverages, and what one person doesn't spend can be utilised by another in the same bill. Easily gets you two courses and a drink, if not more.

Remembering that it is really a third world country in local living conditions, I feel guilt at being considered so well off - but the locals never made you feel that way. Always a smile, "Bula", and offers of assistance, that you didn't feel were fake and about to disappear as you turn your back. If you fill in a special mention card for one of the staff who excelled in their job, it contributes towards a reward scheme for them - well worth the effort.

Price Comparison: about average
Theme: Hotel

• Written Nov 1, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.