"Beware the $100 no parking scam" Harpers Ferry Warnings Or Dangers Tip by civilwarbuff7123

Harpers Ferry Warnings and Dangers: 4 reviews and 0 photos

My wife and I were recent first-time visitors to Harpers Ferry this past week on Friday, October 28th around 1pm; unfortunately it will be our last. Shortly after arriving in town, we received a parking ticket where we had parked on Shenandoah St., off of the roadway and on the grass, across from Virginius Island to take some quick pictures of the scenery; the no parking signs are not visible as you are driving, because the signs are parallel to the roadway so that in order to notice them, you would have to be looking to your right while you are driving, instead of straight ahead. They should be mounted perpendicular to the roadway, making themselves obvious to the driver. That argument was lost on the ranger who ticketed us; certainly had I known it was a no parking area, we would not have parked there. So instead of having lunch and beverages and souvenir purchases in this quaint little town, we decided that our $100 ticket was enough money spent in Harpers Ferry and promptly returned to Gettysburg, to which we make multi-day trips several times a year.

I was also curious as to why the ranger asked if we were visiting, I mean we had Pennsylvania plates and I had a camera in my hand. And what was the need for my social security number? We were also asked if we were carrying any firearms and also asked where we were staying. Perhaps if I?d mentioned we were staying in town, we would have just been given a warning?

The way those no parking signs are positioned strikes me as kind of intentional and I?d imagine a good source of revenue for tickets issued to first-timers to this park. With 254,329 visitors(2007 figures were the latest I could find), I can imagine what kind of revenue must be derived from rewarding visitors with usury $100 parking tickets. My own conservative estimate of HF?s ticket revenue is probably over $320,000 per year.

I'm finding more and more articles about this same thing online from other "lawbreakers" and can?t imagine this being very good PR in this day & age of quick news dissemination.

Thanks for listening.

Regretfully from two Pennsylvania residents and Civil War buffs who won't be back to this historic town.

• Written Nov 1, 2011

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Harpers Ferry?