"Fright Night- Biggest Halloween Party in Europe" Top 5 Page for this destination Sheffield Local Custom Tip by suvanki

Sheffield Local Customs: 22 reviews and 52 photos

Phil wearing his mask - for this pic at least!
by suvanki
      Phil wearing his mask - for this pic at least!
      Fright Night-Barkers Pool
      Fright Nighter
      Zombies on Fargate
    by suvanki
      A Glamorous Fright Nighter from Venice Carnivale??
    by suvanki

Fright Night is now Europes largest Halloween Party - held on the last Sunday in October since 2000, between 15.30 and 20.30. Crowds of over 40,000 was expected.
I finally got around to visiting this event in 2011. Luckily it was an unusually mild night, so the crowds were out in force! (The previous year there had been heavy rain)
The centre of Sheffield is closed off to traffic, as Fairground rides are installed on the centres streets. Market stalls, kiosks selling masks, flashing devils horns/light sabres etc, food stalls etc.
I was expecting that the food stalls would be the same as the usual Continental markets, with dishes from Spain, Germany, France etc, but it was mainly burgers and hot dogs, though I did spot a German bratwurst van - The queues for food were massive!

In the various squares (Orchard, Leopold, Tudor) as well as The Moor, Pinstone Street, Surrey Street, Fargate, Barkers Pool, Peace Gardens and the Winter Garden are attractions for all ages.

There was the GhostBusters Car, an American Hearse, Zombies, a Giant Frankenstein (who apparently got attacked by light sabre weilding children), people sitting in baths of maggots, a fire breathing horse, dances and animations. In the Lyceum Theatre, there was a performance of Sing-A-Long-A-Rocky-Horror-Show.
Mr P Dreadful led one of his famous Ghost Walks.
I didn't get to see all of the attractions.

For me, the best part was seeing the various costumes.
Travelling into Sheffield by bus (public transport is encouraged*, as Parking is difficult at busy times, plus the city centre is mainly closed) Most of the passengers were dressed in costume - from babies to teenagers - We had witches, black cats, a baby frankenstein, pirates, schoolgirls covered in scars and blood streaked clothing. I was dressed in black and had a set of devil horns in my bag, plus a mask for Phil, which he wore for all of 2 minutes, so that I could take a photo of him!

Arriving in the city centre (at around 16.30), we even spotted a couple of dogs dressed as devils! It wasn't long before night fell, and the atmosphere increased. We shuffled up Fargate, dodging pushchairs among the large crowd, and headed into Orchard Square, where there were some imaginative groups in Fancy Dress.

Phil and I escaped to Leopold Square and took advantage of Happy Hour in La Forete for a cocktail each - surprisingly we were among only a handfull of customers (Last time we had visited, it was packed full)
Dutch courage worked, and I put on my Devils Horns (which I kept on all night)

Back into the throng, we mosied on around the squares and streets, enjoying watching the sights and soaking up the atmosphere. I think I enjoyed it more than Phil - he wasn't so happy with being jostled about in the crowd.
Feeling hungry, we adjourned to All Bar One, where we relaxed over our meal and a drink, before heading back down Fargate to catch our bus home, where we were accompanied by more passengers in costume.

I quite enjoyed Fright Night - There was a Great atmosphere, with all ages having fun.
If you don't like crowds, it might not be so pleasant, and there were long queues for the rides and food stalls.

*First Bus Group offered bus-goers a discounted FirstDay Group ticket, which gave up to five people (maximum of two adults) unlimited travel around South Yorkshire on First buses for the whole day for just 5
Public Transport: http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/fright/ or call the Travel South Yorkshire Traveline on 01709 51 51 51.

UPDATE - 2014 - This year, there are no plans to hold Fright Night - something to do with the costs of policing this event - the organisers are stating that there will be other Fright Nights in the future, and likening to Glastonbury Festival, which has a break every now and then - so 'Watch This Space' for updates...

Phone: 0114-221 1900 info line
Website: http://www.yellowbusevents.co.uk/fright_night.php

• Updated May 13, 2014

suvanki Lives Here!

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Sheffield?