Socorro Springs Brewery: "Pizza and beer – what more do you want?" Top 5 Page for this destination Socorro Restaurant Tip by toonsarah

Socorro Restaurants: 11 reviews and 9 photos

Socorro Springs Brewery

Socorro Springs Brewery
      Tomato del Sol pizza
      Californian pizza
      Chris in the bar
    by toonsarah

I had read good reviews of the Socorro Springs Brewery here on VT and elsewhere, and as the dining options in Socorro are fairly limited (unless you want fast food chains) it seemed the natural place to head for on our one evening here. And while I have to say that while we had both expected a space with the character more of a bar than of a family restaurant, we nevertheless enjoyed our evening here.

Favorite Dish: One of the specialities here is pizza, and as that is Chris’s absolute favourite food, he was bound to choose one – and as I like them too, I decided to do the same. His choice was the Californian, with chicken, pesto, black olives, onion and red peppers. I opted for the Tomato del Sol, with fresh and sundried tomatoes, green chillies, capers and feta cheese. As you can see, there are some out of-the-usual flavour combinations here. They get the basics right however, with light, tasty bases.

To go with the pizzas we naturally chose from their selection of microbrews. I enjoyed my Isopod Pale Ale, which was crisp and fairly malty, but Chris was slightly less impressed by the Pick Axe IPA. The latter claims to be their biggest seller but he found it a little bland.

After our meal we moved to their bar area to sample some more brews, and found our choices there rather more satisfying. We both loved the Park City Porter, which was dark, rich and packed with flavour. I also was rather taken with one of the guest ales, Bridgeport’s Café Negro, with its strong espresso after-taste (created, according to the menu, by infusing “a specialised blend of coffee with the base beer during cold conditioning”)

Prices here seemed pretty reasonable. Our meal in the restaurant came to $27 for the two good-sized pizzas and two beers. Beers come in 5 ounce, 10 ounce and pint (16 ounce) sizes, with the latter costing $4.25.

Address: 1012 N. California Street
Comparison: about average
Directions: At the north end of town, on the east side of the main drag
Phone: %s3%cb (575) 838-0650
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Pub/Brewery
Website: http://socorrosprings.com/

• Written Nov 1, 2011

Comments

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Have you been to Socorro?