"Bastille Day" Bastille Day Tip by Dabs

Bastille Day, Paris: 12 reviews and 28 photos

Military flyover
by Dabs

I purposely scheduled our London/Paris trip so that we could spend at least part of Bastille Day in Paris, we had to leave in the evening but we were there during the day and the night before. We made an attempt to get to see some of the military parade but when we got to the metro station shortly before the parade was supposed to start, they had just closed off the exits because of overcrowding. My niece then said she wasn't interested in the military parade so we turned around and went to a less crowded metro station where we got out to walk along the Seine. We did get to see a little of the military flyover.

Bastille Day is what English speakers call July 14th, the French call it La Fête Nationale. It commemorates the Fête de la Fédération, held on the 1st anniversary of the storming of the Bastille on July 17, 1789. Although we didn't participate in much my understanding is that the military parade is held in the morning along the Champs Elysees starting at the Arc de Triomphe and running to the Place de la Concorde. The military flyover is also along the Champs Elysees although we could see it along the Seine. We missed out on the Fireman's balls which are held in the evening on the 13th and 14th and also the fireworks held on the 14th.

In terms of things being closed, I didn't really notice much that was, we were able to eat lunch, public transport was running, the boat rides were still going and the museums were open, the Louvre is even free on July 14th.

• Written Oct 31, 2011

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Paris?