"Indian touters in and around Nathan Road!" Shopping Tip by lindyz

Shopping, Hong Kong: 36 reviews and 20 photos

As most travellers to Asian destinations are aware, the touting on the streets is a very common thing. I think we just need to accept that that is their way of life and how they make a living. I know it can get very annoying to not walk 5 metres without being asked if you want a copy watch, handbag, suit or dvd's, but that is something that does not bother me any more.

What I found in Hong Kong that they are nowhere near as full-on and annoying as shop owners are in other countries. Not even in the main markets, like the Ladies Market and Temple Street night market, most stall owners there were very pleasant and not annoying at all.

HOWEVER .... the one place that became very overwhelming for annoying touters was in and around Nathan Road, and the main offenders were Indians. They were just so "in your face" that you really wanted to tell them where to go .... and not in a nice way!! They were more evident at the harbour end of Nathan Road, which is where we stayed for the first 10 days of our trip, so we encountered them many many times on a daily basis.

Fun Alternatives: Just try to ignore them, I know that may sound somewhat rude, but they will eventually get the hint. It seemed that saying no or shaking our head was not enough to deter them from continually asking us for fake this and copy that!

• Written Oct 31, 2011

Comments

lindyz

“logic takes you from A to B ... imagination takes you everywhere ...”

Have you been to Hong Kong?