"Jewish Museum - inside" Jewish Museum Tip by magor65

• Jewish Museum - inside - Berlin
      interactive part
      Garden of Exile
    by magor65

The exhibition part of the museum is without doubt very interesting. It is a kind of the chronicle of the Jewish community in Germany from the Middle Ages to the present. You can see there objects of daily use, documents, letters, films, etc. Everything displayed in an attractive, interactive way, which engages both the young and the older ones. I could have spent there much longer than those two hours I had at my disposal.
But interesting as it was, it cannot compare to the other part as for the intensity of emotions. Here, in this other part, the feeling of emptiness, disorientation and loss are so strong that almost painful. In Memory Void we find the installation called "Fallen Leaves". Ten thousand iron faces look at you from the floor and their wide open mouth seem to shout. Some people walk over them, which makes a metallic sound hard to bear.
The Holocaust Tower is a huge concrete space where the only source of light is a small slit in the wall high above you. When the heavy door shuts behind me, I feel as though there was too little air to breathe in. I leave it quickly and then climb the stairs leading to nowhere. I feel relieved when I get to the Garden of Exile. At last the blue sky above. But even here I feel lost and isolated. The 48 pillars separate the visitors and you feel as if you are alone. Only the olive trees growing on top seem to bring hope.

For me the building itself is the most powerful exhibit of the Jewish Museum and it speaks volumes about the history of the Jewish nation.

Address: Lindenstraße 9-14, Berlin-Kreuzberg
Directions: U-Bahn: Hallesches Tor
Phone: (030) 30 87 85 - 681
Website: http://www.jmberlin.de

• Written Oct 30, 2011

Comments

magor65

“I'm no longer sure that what's important is more important than what is not”

Have you been to Berlin?