"Tuck into a buffet of cakes" Iceland Things to Do Tip by MikeBird

Iceland Things to Do: 998 reviews and 2,342 photos

Save room for the raspberry flan
by MikeBird

Quite by chance we decided to stop at a rather ordinary looking café at the spit of land called Óseyrartangi. There's no other settlement apart from the café at this point. You can then cross the bridge which spans the mouth of the Ölfusá estuary on Iceland's south coast. The road carries onto the small seaside village of Eyrarbakki.

The café, despite its unpretentious appearance, is a real treasure trove for anyone who likes some cake with their double clotted cream. And it's not just one ordinary type of cake there are raspberry cakes, apple crumble cakes, wonderful gooey meringues drizzled with chocolate and of course chocolate torte type cakes where you can dollop on the cream as much as you can stand. Most of the cakes are made on the premises.

You can sit inside and admire the crashing of the waves over the rocks and onto the dark, sandy beach or you can even sit outside on the wooden decking. If you're a birder there's a double bonus because you can sit and watch the Eider ducks and divers whilst indulging in these amazing culinary creations.

The first time we went we were rather tame and decided just to have the one cake but on our return visit the following day we went the whole way - having starved ourselves before this and had the buffet - eat as much as you like ( or can). Being rather rich in cream everyone will find their limit sooner than they expect but really, if this is your sort of thing, then the cake buffet is not to be missed. I think it would be worth the 40 mile drive out from Reykjavik just to try it. I thought it was a brilliant idea and with the birdwatching possibilities thrown in I was surprised the café wasn't full. The one drawback is the cost; I think I reckoned it cost me about Ł23 (July 2011)for the two of us but as we couldn't eat another thing all day it worked out pretty reasonable in the end.

The photo is courtesy of my son David taken on his phone.

• Updated Jun 11, 2012

MikeBird Visits Here Frequently!

“always choosing the forward facing seat”

Have you been to Iceland?