"Watch the Muck!" Kilimanjaro National Park Warnings Or Dangers Tip by hayward68

This next tip might be a little gross but I'll give it anyway. In regards to the toilet huts it is best to remove your gaiters from your boots before entering the huts. This is because the gaiters usually have a strap that runs under the boot and the toilet huts are not always, shall we say, clean? Some of them are downright nasty since people are aiming for a hole in the ground and don't always make it. You really don't want your gaiter straps picking that up and coming into your tent with you. And to add to that, leave your boots outside your tent in the vestibule portion if you have one, either that or place them on a plastic bag. Your boots will have all the nastiness from the toilet huts on them.
Also, I suggest rolling up your trouser legs before entering the huts if they are trailing down, same reason as above.
At Barranco Camp I entered the toilet hut to discover that somebody missed the hole completely and warned the guy going in after I came out that it was gross. He said "you just get used to it" and then went in and I then heard him say "oh that's gross!" Yup, sometimes you can't get used to it.

• Written Oct 30, 2011