Mexican Wave, Beijing, China: "A very real surprise in Beijing. Excellent." Mexican Wave - CLOSED Tip by Mickutopia

Mexican Wave - CLOSED, Beijing: 4 reviews and 0 photos

While enjoying an extended stay in the city, I discovered The Mexican Wave in the center of the city. I speak the local language and was not especially inclined to visit the more "westernized" city center but I am very glad that I did. Being vegetarian and American, Mexican-style food is typically a major part of my diet (beans, rice, hot stuff). Inside, it doesn't feel like one is in China. The atmosphere is cozy and comfortable. At the time, the restaurant manager, Georgia (from Indiana) greeted me and we sat and conversed while I indulged in one of the few city locations where tortillas, beans, cheese and hot peppers come together. Was it like a Mex. cafe in Santa Fe or Phoenix? Of course not. But, it's not far off-track. Nachos, enchiladas, burritos and cerveza...YUM!
I made more than a few trips (by taxi) to this unexpected hot spot. I heartily recommend it.

Favorite Dish: Can't say exactly. I recall that the hot sauce wasn't quite as hot as I prefer so I ordered peppers on the side. I can say that I did not have any dish that I did not enjoy.

Address: Guanghua Road
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Start near the Beijing Friendship Store. With simple directions, it's "around the corner and down a little way". A pleasant walk from the hotels within the First Ring.
Phone: 6506-3961
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Mexican

• Written Oct 29, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Beijing?