Sushi Sasabune: "BEST SUSHI EVER!!!!" Honolulu Restaurant Tip by CruisingGoddess

Honolulu Restaurants: 284 reviews and 437 photos

Our first meal in Hawaii was “omakase” at Sushi Sasabune. Omakase means “It’s up to you.” in Japanese and at a restaurant, it means Chef’s Choice. The chef gives you a series of dishes of his choice. For sushi, it usually means the best and freshest sushi. The reviews call the chef “Sushi Nazi” because they don’t serve non-authentic rolls (in other words, it’s all raw fish) and they strongly recommend when you should or should not use soy sauce and wasabi to eat each dish. OMG. I cannot tell you how AWESOME this place was! Chris and I have eaten at some of the best sushi restaurants in Los Angeles, New York City, etc. and we both agreed that this was seriously the BEST sushi we have ever had in our lives! The fish was SOOO fresh, buttery, and the flavors balanced so well. Even the sushi rice and fresh wasabi were superb!

From my experience, omakase is usually a set price and a set number of dishes but at Sushi Sasabune, you pay per dish and they keep bringing it out until you tell them to stop. There is a threshold of about 11 or 12 dishes where most people quit so the waiter asks if you want to stop at that point or keep going. I actually bailed about 2 dishes before that point and Chris called me “weak”. He finished the usual number of dishes plus one extra dish he requested. We had green tea ice cream after that too. We found out near the end of our meal that Sushi Sasabune has an American omakase and Japanese omakase. We were having the American one.

When we returned to Honolulu, we had the Japanese "omakase" and most of the dishes were swapped out for much more exotic foods, like sea urchin and monkfish liver. I think it was good to experience both but I have to admit that I enjoyed the American omakase better.

You can expect to pay $125-$150 per person, not including drinks. It is an expensive but very worth it meal!! Reservations are a must and omakase is required on Saturday nights.

Favorite Dish: American Omakase

Rating: 5
Theme: Japanese/Sushi
Website: http://www.sasabunehawaii.com

• Written Oct 28, 2011

Comments

CruisingGoddess

“Exploring the world one cruise at a time”

Have you been to Honolulu?