"Wonderful hotel with best location" The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach Tip by CruisingGoddess

The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, Honolulu: 4,279 reviews and 10 photos

Hula girl lamp
      Sunset from our balcony
    by CruisingGoddess

We stayed at this hotel on Thanksgiving weekend for 4 nights before boarding a cruise out of Honolulu. I was very pleased that even though our ?City View? room was on the side of the hotel, I could still see the beach from the balcony (or lanai as the Hawaiians call it) when I went out on it and we even watched the sunset over Waikiki Beach from the balcony. The room was very nice and a great size. The decor was subtle and plain but there were Hawaiian touches, like the hula girl lamp. The walls seemed thin though. I?m a light sleeper and was awaken by our neighbors and people talking loudly in the halls a few times. There was also a buzzing sound that drove me bonkers for about 30 minutes on the first night before Chris identified the noise as the air conditioning. (I have this thing were sounds drive me crazy unless I know what it is.)

The staff was very helpful and friendly. When the bellman brought our bags to the room, he explained all of the room and hotel amenities and answered any questions we had. We didn?t have enough change to tip him well but we tipped him again the next time we saw him. He must have remembered us because he later saw me in the gift shop looking at the bamboo beach mats. He called us over to him and took us to a closet where they kept beach stuff abandoned by other guests and let us take our pick of mats and floating rafts! How nice of him!! Anyway, I thought that was awesome. Valet parking at the hotel was a pain. The staff was always courteous and quick to bring the car but the sidewalk in front of the hotel was so busy that every time we pulled into the hotel garage, I was worried we?d hit someone. The staff tries to stop the pedestrians but sometimes they ignore them. To me, valet parking in general is a pain because you have to have someone bring the car around every time you leave or just need to get something out of the car.

The hotel was very busy but we were there during Thanksgiving. Sometimes we had to wait a bit for the elevator and the public areas got pretty crowded. We didn?t eat any meals other than breakfast there but the restaurants looked like they had quite wait during dinner when we walked by. We had the buffet breakfast at Duke?s two mornings and liked it a lot. I LOVED the view from Duke?s. It?s really something to have your breakfast a stone-throw?s away from the sand. The buffet also had a nice variety of good quality food. They even had Portuguese sausage, a local favorite, and of course fresh pineapple! The buffet comes with coffee, tea, and juice. Definitely get the POG juice (passion, orange, and guava)! I?m not a fan of passion fruit or guava but I liked my POG! Definitely the best thing about this hotel is the location, in the middle of Waikiki. It?s surrounded by shops, including International Marketplace and 2 ABC Stores across the street. I wish we had more time to take walk around the Waikiki area because the hotel was in the perfect spot for that so I highly recommend this hotel if you want to be the middle of all the action!

Unique Qualities: Right on the beach, Hawaiian touches, Duke's restaurant

Address: 2335 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815-2941, United States
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: +1 808-923-0711
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.outrigger.com/hotels-resorts/hawaiian-islands/oahu-waikiki/outrigger-waikiki-on-the-beach

• Written Oct 28, 2011

“Exploring the world one cruise at a time”

Have you been to Honolulu?