"DAVID LIVINGSTON TRAIL - BOTSWANA" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Things to Do Tip by DAO
Africa Things to Do: 366 reviews and 1,024 photos
KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL
David Livingstone is more widely known for ?discovering? Victoria Falls. It is less well known that he was a Missionary who built the first church in Botswana here at Kolobeng. He was lived here with his wife Mary and their children Robert & Agnes from 1847-1852. The two buildings were a Missionary Station and a Church/School. Sadly Agnes died and she is buried nearby. The buildings were reportedly destroyed during a Boer raid whilst the Livingston?s were away travelling in 1852. Only the foundations and some iron work remain. There is a good toilet on the site. The entrance is well marked by a National Monument sign from the road and closer to the site (pictured). You need to close the gate behind your car on the main road and drive about 500 meters. Park your car outside the gate with the chains. They are not locked, just tied around the gate (pictured).
The site is located just off the Mogoditshane-Kanye road near the evergreen village of Kumakwane ? 40 kilometres south-west of Gaborone, Botswana
More Things to Do in Africa (86)
More Reviews (340)
- See All Don?t Bother in Massawa
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All The Flag of Burkina Faso
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL ? THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels