Percha Creek Traders Co-op: "Local arts and crafts" Hillsboro Shopping Tip by toonsarah

Hillsboro Shopping: 1 reviews and 3 photos

• Local arts and crafts - Hillsboro
      Inside the shop
    by toonsarah
      Kathy's Kritters (the space is where ours hung)
    by toonsarah

We only popped into Percha Creek Traders to see if they had any nice postcards, but we found ourselves lingering for a while, there was so much to see! We found an excellent selection of local photographs, paintings in all sorts of styles, fabric crafts, jewellery, pottery and more. The sales person explained that this is a local co-operative, run by and for local artists and craftspeople. When they started there were just a handful in the area, but their members now number over 20 and they are growing all the time. Clearly Hillsboro is a place that attracts artists.

What to buy: Although we had only intended to look for postcards, I was also on the look-out on this trip for a picture to go in our recently decorated hallway. But what caught my eye was not a picture but a piece of what I guess you would call “wall art” – a ceramic horse created with a technique known as Raku. This is a traditional Japanese technique in which the glazed piece is fired and removed from the hot kiln and is put directly into water or is allowed to cool in the open air. The result is an unpredictable metallic finish, making each piece unique. The technique has been adopted by local artist Kathy Lovell for her range of “Kathy’s Kritters” (I love the work, but cringe at the name!) We were taken by the turquoise colours of some of her horses and knew that it would be a great match for our hall, so duly bought one. It cost $35 which we thought was good value for something pretty unique. We later saw some of Kathy’s work in other galleries, e.g. in Mesilla, but we were pleased to have bought our horse here in her home town.

We also bought a small bar of locally-made craft soap, scented with sage, for $4, as a present for my Mum.

Address: 300 Main Street, Hillsboro
Directions: On the south side of the road towards the eastern end of town, almost opposite the Barbershop Café
Theme: Art
Website: http://www.perchacreektraders.com/

• Written Oct 26, 2011

Comments

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Have you been to Hillsboro?