"Worst Hotel Stay. EVER." Buenos Aires Hilton Tip by technobluprint

Buenos Aires Hilton, Buenos Aires: 2,849 reviews and 10 photos

My stay in Hilton is, so far, a BIG disappointment. And not to mention that it has become a stressful experience.

I am staying in Hilton for 41 days and most of it has been stressful. (Yes, unfortunately I have to stay here for a few more days since I'm on a business trip and Hilton is the closest hotel to our office.) I am a Hilton gold member and was told that I will be upgraded to the executive lounge when a room becomes available (Gustavo of the front desk told me there was no available room when I arrived) but I'll be checking out 4 days from now and I have never been upgraded. But when one of my officemates arrived three weeks after me, they put him in the executive room even though I requested to be waitlisted and he didn't have a reservation just because he paid for the room. Is that how gold members are treated in Hilton?

The receptionists at the front desk rarely smile and should be taught good customer service but the receptionist named Rosario is the worst. She NEVER smiles, a snob and sounds condescending when she talks. I don't know if she's aware that she works for a service industry.

THERE IS NO WI-FI INSIDE THE ROOM. Like how the hell is that possible for a luxury hotel? Good thing that I brought my Airport Express so I can have wi-fi inside the room. My officemates have to go to the lobby or outside their rooms just to get a signal. I can get a better wi-fi signal at the middle of the street. And that's no joke.

Part of my benefits as a HHilton gold member is the breakfast buffet at El Faro. The restaurant staff is all nice and accommodating (front desk should learn from them), especially the two Mercedeses (the chef and the waitress), David, the two Fernandas, and the other three waitresses which I forgot the names, BUT the food is SO uninspired. I've been staying in Hilton for more than a month now but their morning breakfast buffet NEVER changed. Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancake, french toast and scrambled eggs are staple then two dishes will be routinely changed with rice, asparagus, steamed tomato, french fries, and potato wedges. (See how I already memorized their options?) It may be OK for a week or two but having the same thing for more than a month is not funny anymore. I've stayed in other hotels and they change their menu almost everyday. I stayed in Four Points Mumbai (which is considered only a 3- or 2-star hotel) but their food selection is way better that Hilton's.

I couldn't care much about those things actually but what I can't accept is how Hilton handle the security of their guests' belongings. I "lost" my perfume in my room and called the attention of Hilton to investigate how it happened. I bought the perfume at the airport when I arrived in Argentina and just used it twice since I still have another bottle which I brought from Manila. I asked them to do an investigation because I find it weird that my three phones, laptop and 2 cameras which were lying around in my room were still there but it's the perfume that got "lost". I just don't want to believe that it was stolen because the cleaners are so nice to me so I just want to think that one of them may have accidentally thrown away the perfume (Issey Miyake) since it looks empty especially when new because the bottle is frosted. But I was told by Gaston, the duty manager, that cleaners don't and shouldn't throw away anything that's not in the trash bin. So I told him that I am not stupid nor crazy to throw away a bottle of perfume that I just bought. He said he will ask all of the people/cleaners who went into my room if they saw the missing perfume bottle. I didn't get a call from him after two days so I made a follow-up and that's when he told me that all of the cleaners denied seeing the perfume bottle and that all of them just saw 1 perfume bottle (Bulgari). I already resigned the idea of getting my perfume back since I feel that it's not worth all the trouble they're giving me and I hate that they try to make me feel that I'm just making up a story. Until Silvia (one of the cleaners I got to talk to) admitted that she saw and perfume and she clearly remembers where it was. I don't know what "investigation" Gaston did nor how he asked the cleaners about my missing perfume but I just showed Silvia a picture of the missing perfume bottle from the internet and she remembered it immediately. So I tried to call up Gaston but I was told that he's on leave and will not be back after a few weeks. So Mariela, another duty manager, took up on the case and promised that they will be replacing the missing perfume. But three days after our conversation and there was no sight of the replacement so I made a follow-up. I went to the reception desk after I got from work and I got to talk to Brian, another duty manager. He said that Mariela told him that the perfume will be replaced and that they just can't find a store that sells it. A day after that, I got a call from Mariela. She is apologizing for a misunderstanding because she thought I don't want the perfume to be replaced anymore (WTF?!). So I called up the guest relations manager (Pablo) this time. I was just so disappointed that Brian and/or Mariela just added to my aggravation by lying to me on the status of my dilemma since they have contradicting claims. Finally, after three more days, I got my perfume replacement with a letter that I have to sign that I won't be suing Hilton. I just wanted my horrible two-week ordeal to end so I just signed the paper and got my perfume but I really felt like I have to be compensated for staying in Hilton just because of the trauma I had.

I thought Hilton has learned a lesson from my situation about security when I was told by my officemate that she can't find her Blackberry phone in her room last Sunday. Currently, Hilton is doing an "investigation" but I told her to report it already to the police and our office since we are leaving in a few days and she may not be able to get her phone back anymore after we leave. I don't know if Hilton is doing a background check on the employees that they hire or if they just get people off the street and hire them.

I am a platinum member on another hotel company and never had this problem. I wanted to stay in one of their hotels in BA but was told by my officemates to stay in Hilton since it's near our office. But looking back, I wouldn't mind walking longer distance everyday just not to experience this again.

This is, so far, the worst hotel stay ever. I expected so much from Hilton since it's a global brand and other friends recommended it but it gave me nothing but disappointment. I was asked by our company if we would still advise other employees to stay in Hilton in the future and I gave a big NO. For obvious reasons. And this means tens or hundred employees of our employees who regularly go to BA for business trips.

Unique Qualities: Their only saving grace is their restaurant staff (during breakfast and dinner) and their cleaners (Luzmila and Silvia). Hilton should be rewarding those people because they are the ones who work hard to make my horrible experience a little bit bearable.

Address: Macacha Guemes 351, Buenos Aires, Capital Federal District, C1106BKG, Argentina
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: +54 11 48910000
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://

• Written Oct 25, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Buenos Aires?