"Harbour view room for a good sleep" Top 5 Page for this destination Mercure Hotel Auckland Tip by Kakapo2

Mercure Hotel Auckland, Auckland: 1,887 reviews and 10 photos

Harbour view from the tenth floor of the Mercure.
by Kakapo2

Harbour view from the tenth floor of the Mercure.
    by Kakapo2
      View over the Ferry Building to Takapuna.
    by Kakapo2
      Spacious room with good desk.
    by Kakapo2
      A look into the bathroom.
    by Kakapo2

The location of this hotel is hard to top - a few steps from the waterfront, a few steps from Britomart, the transport centre, a few steps from Queen Street.

But you can also have a bad surprise if you do not stay in one of the upper storeys. These rooms are harbour view rooms - and that is what I had booked.

However, I found myself in a house wall view room on the fourth floor in first place, with the trains underneath shaking the building, not to mention the noise...

Lucky me I had the print of my reservation on me, so I immediately requested my relocation to a harbour view room. This was more to my taste, and not just for the view of the waterfront, the Ferry Buidling and the beautiful Britomart building but mainly for a lot less noise and next to no shaking. (Earthquake sufferers from Christchurch do not really appreciate it...)

In fact, it was even quite quiet.

The room was large, nicely decorated. Just one pet hate: It had an interconnecting door. How I hate this! You have to listen to the conversations next door, if you want or not. And sure, you would not do or say anything you do not want to share with your room neighbours either...

The bathroom was large as well, with those slightly dated wall-to-wall boards - which I love because you can store more bathroom accessories on them than you can carry.

I had a shower over the bathtub - which was fine for me. However, if you have problems with your legs and walking, make sure to request a room with easy-access shower.

Clearly a hotel I would happily stay at again, particularly at the great rate offered on Wotif - even during the week of the Rugby World Cup final. But I would not stay in a room at a lower level than harbour view. (Mine was on the 10th floor.)

Luggage storage after checkout was free, reception staff friendly but distanced, no locals.

Can't remember TV - but I had a really good sleep.

On photo 2 you see the view across the Ferry Building to Takapuna.

Photo 3 shows the room.

Photo 4 gives you an idea of the bathroom.

Address: 8 Customs Street, Auckland 1001, New Zealand
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: At the corner of Customs and Queen Street, next to Britomart transport centre. Airbus stop only 50 metres away.
othercontact: h1721-re01@accor.com
Phone: (+64)9/3778920
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-1721-mercure-auckland/index.shtml

• Updated Oct 25, 2011

Comments

Kakapo2 Visits Here Frequently!

Kakapo2

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Have you been to Auckland?