"Foodie shops around La Madeleine" Maille Tip by CatherineReichardt

Maille, Paris: 6 reviews and 9 photos

Flagship Maille store, Place de la Madeleine
by CatherineReichardt

For some reason, there are a whole crop of 'foodie' shops in Place de la Madeleine, which are fun to peruse (even though my frugal gene then prompts me to seek out the same goodies elsewhere at a 'supermarché' price).

Such is the case with the Maille mustard shop, coincidentally the brand of grain mustard that I use at home. What staggered me is that a brand that isn't all that expensive even as an import could afford retail premises in such a prime location, but I suppose that this is the flagship store and that the value is in the publicity and brand awareness that it creates.

But back to Maille (and thanks to Tom Chesshyre's amusing 'Tales from Fast Trains' for some of the facts that follow).

Maille is one of the best established condiment brands in France, and hails from the mustard capital, Dijon. Apparently Antoine Maille first opened his mustard store in 1747, and was the man who cracked the technique of vinegar distillation and mustard making. As a result of this gastronomic achievement, he was subsequently named vinegar maker and distiller to the imperial household of Austro-Hungarian Empire as well as the King of France and Empress Catherine the Great of Russia. Today, they sell 40,000 tonnes of mustard a year, and varieties apparently include blackcurrent, honey, cognac, fig, coriander, curry-and-coconut and seaweed-and-rose-petal (I'm a pretty adventurous eater, but I think I'm going to be giving the last one a miss)!

On a more disappointing note, 90% of the mustard seed used in Maille's production of 'French mustard' comes from Canada!

Theme: Food and Drink

• Updated Oct 25, 2011

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Good evening Cathy,
    Glad to see that you also appreciate the shops like Maille at the Place de la Madeleine. Indeed it is the flagship store; one finds that mustard in all shops. Usually I stay in that area and eat in a Japanese restaurant. At home I eat French-Belgian cuisine so that I like a change when travelling.

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Paris?