"The Queen Mary~The Grey Ghost" Top 5 Page for this destination Queen Mary Tip by Yaqui

Queen Mary, Long Beach: 35 reviews and 72 photos

I've have visited the Queen Mary many of times, but that was since the Spruce Goose days. Sadley that has been sold. That was a neat piece of our history. I have history with the Queen Mary, since this is the ship that brought my mom back home during WWII. She thinks nothing of it, but I am pretty proud of my mom serving during WWII. She shared a very small bunk room with five other girls and they had to have armed escorts anytime they went anywhere on the ship. She said she got a little sea sick because at the time they were still cruising back a forth just incase any enemy subs were still out to sea. Still, she has fond memories of the Grey Ghost and so every time you visit Long Beach, you have to visit the Queen Mary.

"Some folks thinks she is tours trap and I disagree whole heartly!! She is a hidden gem and I I think a must to see. She has tours, hotel, shops, restaurants, and museum. A great way to spend a day:)

The Queen Mary?s story is rich with history, elegance and grandeur. From the time her construction began in 1930 in Clydebank, Scotland. Upon her Maiden Voyage in 1936 the Queen Mary was considered the grandest ship ever built and the elite of high society.

In 1939, at the start of the World War II, the Queen Mary was drafted into service and outfitted as a troopship. Deemed the Grey Ghost due to her new camouflaged grey exterior, she joined the Allied Forces and played a crucial role. When the war ended, she was restored to her former glory and continued passenger service. In 1966, Queen Mary was for sale and winning bid was $3.45 million dollars and thus began the ship?s new journey to her new home in Long Beach, California.http://www.queenmary.com/Our-Story.aspx

Address: 1126 Queensway Drive Long Beach
Phone: (562) 435-3511
Website: http://www.queenmary.com

• Updated Mar 29, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2015 at 12:54 AM

Great you could have a look around the ship that your mother came home on!

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Have you been to Long Beach?