"Versailles and Queen Marie-Antoinette." Top 5 Page for this destination Versailles Tip by breughel

Versailles, Paris: 26 reviews and 27 photos

Château de Versailles.

Château de Versailles.
      Jardins de Versailles.
    by breughel
      Versailles - Petit Trianon.
    by breughel
      Versailles - Grand Trianon.
      Bed of Marie-Antoinette.
    by breughel

Favorite thing: If you read some of my reviews you can't ignore that my first favorite palace inside Paris is Le Louvre and the second, although outside Paris (30 min by the RER), is Versailles.

I must confess that on my first visit in 1967 I was not really enthusiast with the Château de Versailles but that was before the large restoration campaign called the project of "le Grand Versailles". On my second visit in 2008 I became really enthusiast and could not stop writing 35 reviews on Versailles under the title "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE" .

You see, on the contrary of the Tour Eiffel that you can visit in half an hour, for Versailles you will need a full day to visit the various parts of the "Château", the Grand Trianon, the Petit Trianon and the gardens. And that's not enough, you need to prepare your visit by reading at least some books about King Louis XIV otherwise you will not understand the essence, the soul of Versailles.
There are at Versailles two inspirations: the male inspiration of grandeur from King Louis XIV and the female inspiration for intimacy from Queen Marie-Antoinette.

Before my visit I read the biography of Queen Marie-Antoinette by Stefan Zweig, a book written in 1933 but still fascinating. I tried to follow in the various palaces the life of this socialite and extravagant Queen whose brother, the emperor Joseph II of Austria, said that she was a "tête à vent" a head with wind.

I was lucky to be there on the day of opening of the Petit Trianon, after its restoration; what touched me most was that small artificial cave in the gardens behind the Petit Trianon. The small cave has nothing nice, but it was there on the evening of October 5, 1789, that Queen Marie-Antoinette was informed about the march on Versailles by the Parisian rioters.
Could she imagine in that cave that her husband Louis XVI and she would be beheaded four years later?

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jan 11, 2015

Comments

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Have you been to Paris?