"Oia Sunset : Dont loose your Child" Crowds Tip by samitbabu

Crowds, Santorini Island: 7 reviews and 13 photos

Well, Oia is one end of Santorini , and THE place where seemingly a few thousands of people gather to watch the sun set in the blue sea.
Crowds throng every lille lane and every nook and corner to the side facing the sunset. There are cafes and small tavers hanging from every little ledge with a couple of chairs balancing themselves for aseated and perched view to the sunset.

People shove and jostle aginst each other for a comfortable place to stand or hang onto while they balance their Slrs and huge lenses.

Beware of loosing sight of your little and dear one in this . I did and paid a high penalty !!!

• Written Oct 23, 2011

• samitbabu's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2016 at 2:10 AM

It was the most tense and painful hour in my life. We ultimately found her, my seven year old daughter. She had just walked off with another member of our team and since the phones do not work properly at different corners of the island we were all out of touch. The place, OIA, at sunset is immensely populated with tourists walking and thronging everywhere.

The Greek police were extremely concerned and helpful. Though we didn't understand each other's language, emotions speak a million words and they are same everywhere.

When ultimately an SMS trickled down to my phone from one of our tourmates that my daughter is with her and safe, tears ran down my eyes. Then and I got a very tight hug from the police officer seating next to me who was equally tense. I guess, a father's love for his daughter is the same everywhere.

The price I paid was the sunset. By the time, I got the news that she is safe, the sun called it a day and had dipped down into the waters. It was already dk.

So maybe, some other time.....

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2016 at 9:18 AM

oh no! what happened? what penalty?

“Travelling keeps the Soul Happy !!!”

Have you been to Santorini Island?