"Regatta Storica - the story of its origins" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Local Custom Tip by croisbeauty
Venice Local Customs: 336 reviews and 615 photos
Regatta storica is the most spectacular event of Venice, it is very pitoresque and the moving at the same time. It is magnificent historical procession, taking place on the waters of Canal Grande, consisting of splendid carved boats and completed with the costumed crews, dressed in gorgeous brocadecostumes.
This historical procession commemorates the welcome given to Caterina Cornaro wife of King of Cyprus, in 1489 after she renounced the throne in favour of Venice. Bucintoro, the boat representing the Serenissima is at the head of procession.
Many different competitions take place within Regatta Storica:
- MASCARETE - the women's regata
- PUPPARINI - the young rowers regata
- GONDOLINI - the champions regata
- CAORLINE - the river-transportation boats regata
Finishing line is "Machina", the spectacular floating stage located always in front of the Ca' Foscari palace.
It is long tradition now that Regatta Storica is taking place the first Sunday of September.
More Reviews (198)
- See All Venetian Campo
- See All City without wheels
- See All Campo dei Mori - statues of Mastelli...
- See All Expensive gondola
- See All Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni
- See All Jazz & bras
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels