"The story of Uranquinty continued" Uranquinty Favorite Tip by iandsmith
Uranquinty General: 3 reviews and 2 photos
Favorite thing: In 1890 William Hardiman was granted a licence at Sandy Creek to be called Hardimans Hotel . The licence was granted because of the need for accommodation at the Sandy Creek Station. This hotel was built on the site of the current Hotel and in 1911 the name was changed to The Uranquinty Hotel. The original hotel lasted until somewhere around 1925 when the majority of the front section of the hotel was supposedly burnt down and rebuilt in its present form. The hotel had many owners until 1938 when Tooths purchased the freehold which they held until 1971. Some minor renovations were carried out in 1961 to the back of the hotel and then outside toilets were added in 1965. The current major renovations are the first to occur since 1925.
When the hotel was rebuilt in about 1925 a shop was erected next door and leased out by the publican for 10 shillings a week .
In 1929 Cyv Taber leased the shop and called it the London Cafe. He sold tea and sandwiches, fruit and vegetables drinks and lollies and icecreams for 3d each.
In 1933 he transferred the lease to his brother Hubert, who eventually bought the café from Tooth and Co in 1944 for 300 pounds. He and his four children ran a thriving business as well as delivering fruit and vegetables to the surrounding farms together with a taxi service .
During the war years the café became a popular meeting place for service men and women and refreshments for the troop trains which often stopped at Uranquinty.
Hubert Taber sold the London Café to Clarrie and Molly Miosge in 1968 who also had a thriving business .In the 1970s the café was the only place where meals could be obtained and it was always crowded on weekends often with people who had to travel at least ten miles to be able to drink at the hotel on a Sunday as per the licencing laws of the day . The hotel did not serve meals so the café was often very busy.
Most of the town developed on the northern side of the railway line in the early days of settlement and by 1900 there were butchers shops, general stores bakeries, a post office , chaff mill ,café and the newly built Public school.
On the southern side of the railway line were the Hotel, Federal Hall ,a blacksmith shop and a police station.
As with all small towns during this time all goods and services were locally supplied because of the state of the roads and the length of travel by horse and sulky .
It took ˝ a day by horse and cart to travel the 11 miles to Wagga or 3/4 hr by train .
One could catch the lunch time train and return home on the paper train at 7pm.
The first world war had its effect on the town and the district as it created a shortage of manpower .As the farming community developed, seasonal labour was always in demand .In the 1800s this area was basically cattle country, as there were no fences and cattle were regarded as less intensive , sheep on the other hand needed shepherding and had to be washed and shorn.
With the coming of the railway farmers were able to bring their produce to the trucking yards to be sent away .
Fondest memory: By 1894 there was approximately 8000 acres under crop all within a few kilometres of the Railway station . This was very labour intensive and men worked long hard hours with horse teams doing all the hard work.
Some farmers had up to 80 horses with ten horses per team . Men were employed from 7am to 6pm on weekdays and 7am to 4pm on Saturdays and were paid about $1.25 a day.
Before the silos were built, the wheat had to be carted in .one cubic metre bags by wagon to the station where it was stacked 40 to 50 bags high and up to 10 metres wide.
One of the toughest jobs was that of the wheat lumper who had to carry the bags from the wagons to the stacks and then onto the trains when loading.
Farming in those early days was very labour intensive and there was always a need for skilled teamsters, sheaf turners, binder drivers, stookers, stack builders, chaff cutters shearers and of course the wheat lumpers.
The first auto header arrived in the district in 1929 and the first tractor in 1930. It took until 1956 for the last horse team to be unyoked.
In 1929 a branch line was built from Uranquinty to Kywong to handle wheat trains and passenger services. It was during this period that the village experienced many brawls and fights among the settlers, and resulted in one navie being shot by the local policeman , requiring transportation by train to Wagga for attention.
More General in Uranquinty (2)
More Reviews (5)
iandsmith's Related Pages
Have you been to Uranquinty?Share Your Travels